Cross country started like any other day. There was large amounts of chatter in our coach's room as all the runners gathered for sixth period cross country. I believe we started a little later than usual. How odd. Our coach proceeded to horde us out of the classroom, telling us to start warming up, stating in a frustrating voice, "What are you doing?!" As he shooed us off, we began our warm-up loop, which was probably a little less than half a mile.
We all circled up for our stretches, but today seemed much more lazy and chatter-y. People weren't stretching, our leaders weren't calling out the stretches, etc. I got extremely stressed and embarrassed by my team mates' behavior, especially since there was a new girl that started running that day who was stretching right next to me. Honestly I did not care much. I know whatever I said or did to them would not change their attitude. It is a team effort, not an individual effort. The majority will inevitably kill off the individual.
After practice our coach scolded us for playing around too much, and not taking our job seriously. "Disappointing", he said with a venomous tone. One week and it seems the team has lost the spirit to run, or to do anything during practice. Just a week ago everything seemed so well. The future looked so bright. CIF was in reach. Not anymore. Brandon will probably make it to CIF again. Alone. Good job Team. We screwed up big time. "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." -- Juma Inkangaa
No comments:
Post a Comment