Sunday, June 27, 2010

No bike, No car, I have my legs and shoes

The task was quite simple. All I wanted to do was go out for a six mile run. A six mile run turned into a three and a half hour journey through the various neighborhoods of Lakewood and Bellflower.

Today's mission: Run six miles. The six miles felt good, although there was a cramp that never went away, which was quite annoying and hindered me from running at my best. Once I finished my run I began to walk home. I knew that my parents would be at a party and my sister was likely not at home, so I had to wait outside for a bit since I didn't have any keys to get into the house. I thought I'd be sitting around for around an hour, but I began to have doubts after an hour and a half.

Finishing my core work out, I sat around for about fifteen more minutes before I decided to walk/run to my friends' houses. It was getting pretty late (Nearing 7:30PM) and the evening was becoming colder every passing minute. I walked for a bit to Kevin's house: No one was home. I continue my ventures to Abby's house. I was nervous and wasn't feeling up to ringing her door bell, so I continued to Paul's house. Ringing the doorbell I peered through his glass door. The lights were turned off, but his computer was still on, he was probably busy doing something, or possibly sleeping.

Giving up on looking for any place to stay at until my parents came home, I decided to head back to the house and sat waiting for another fifteen or twenty minutes. I then decided to take one more tour through the previous houses. Before heading to Kevin's house once again I head to Grace Park's home first, which was about another half mile down from Kevin's house. Making my way to her house it had become noticeably cold. Being in shorts and a sleeveless shirt was not helping. The only way to keep warm was to keep moving by running.

The run to Grace's house was tiring, but it was enough to get my blood moving and my body heated up. I ring the doorbell and a very fine lady opens the door, which I assumed was her mom. She looked quite good for a mother of two I had to admit to myself mentally. I think I found out where grace obtained her good looks. Anyway, I asked her if I could talk with Grace, but she seemed a bit hesitant at first. She ended up getting Grace and I asked if I could use a phone, she gladly handed me her cellphone. I dial the number to our house to see if anyone was home because last time I waited for some one to come home I found out they were actually home, they just didn't hear the doorbell. The line is quiet until the phone says, "I'm sorry, but the number you have called has been changed." We recently changed our phone service. I mentally cursed to myself.

Handing back the phone to her mother, I left murmuring a "thank you" and apologizing for "the trouble". I scurried off glad to be off running. That was the first time I met her mom. Once again, I head back home to check for anyone. To no surprise there was no one there. Again I sat waiting for another fifteen minutes. Repeating the routine I run over to Kevin's house. The lights in the house were all off, so obviously there was no one home. If they were asleep, then I'd rather no bother them.

I run to Abby's house a second time and chicken out a second time, passing by her house without much of second thought. The garage was open and the lights were on, so it was obvious someone was home.

Straight from Abby's house I bolt directly for Paul's. I was relieved to see that the lights were on in his house, he was probably home. Ringing the door bell he opened the door surprised to see me. He asked me, "Where'd you just come from?" I replied,"I've been running around town for the past two to three hours." We hung out for a little bit and I ended up having some leftovers from his dinner for my own dinner. By this time it was nearing 9PM and my parents nor my sister were home yet.

Finally, my parents came home around 9PM, but I decided to stay at Paul's house for about twenty more minutes. When I left it was just about 9:25PM. It was pretty dark, but I still decided to run back home; it actually felt nice. Getting back home my parents didn't ask me how I was. I guess they didn't know I had been running around town couples hours prior to getting back home and thought I went to Paul's house after I had finished running.

This was a different type of running that I enjoyed. It was not the type of run where you usually want to go a certain distance or finish in a certain time. This was the type of run that was used to get from Point A to Point B; a type of transportation.

"One day I was complaining about the car to my father. He disappeared for a few minutes into the house. Next, he came outside carrying a pair of running shoes in one hand and a set of tools in another. He said to me that I had a choice to make. I took the shoes and never looked back." - Daniel Brienza of "Competitor" (28)

No comments:

Post a Comment