Friday, June 25, 2010

Paper roses for you my dear

Chocolate? Naw! Flowers? Nope! Paper flowers? Sounds like a plan! So, even though I finished making the paper bouquet of flowers about a week ago, I've decided to make a post about it just because it seemed very worthy of being posted about, even if a week has already passed! All this madness started because of Samantha and Kevin Ccabusora, but really I am thankful because without that little (or large) nudge I may have never done something like this, ever.

Anyway, the decision to make paper flowers was very simple: You've got two weeks of school left, how are you going to tell that special some one "I like you"? It was very possible to say those words to her, but it seemed a little bit plain. I was very hesitant at first to tell her; it's very nerve wracking! With some motivation (and threats) I became confident and determined with my mission. Some of the things Sam said to me were, "If you don't hurry another guy might take her." or "I think it's best to tell her soon because if she doesn't like you, then the chances she would a year or two from now probably isn't going to happen, and it'd be a waste." Something along those lines.

Goal? Check. Motivation/determination? All green. What now? Uuh. . . The problem came up: "What am I going to get her?" Kevin and I went over some possibilities such as chocolate or flowers, neither seemed to catch my interest. We kind of gave up in the end and we just talked for a bit. Suddenly, he told me some thing like, "You need to talk to her more, just be your weird self." Some thing clicked in my head when he said that and the gears started to move. Then an idea sprung: Paper flowers. I already knew how to do some origami, so such a task didn't seem too daunting. Boy, was I wrong.

Paper flowers for you, my dear. Seemed easy enough. Wrong! I probably had the most frustrating time folding paper flowers ever. One of the problems was that there were numerous ways to fold a paper flower, or if you want me to be specific, a paper rose. In addition to their various methods, they are quite difficult to fold also. After a few days of searching and learning how to fold it, I finally made my first rose. Alas, folding it didn't seem so difficult anymore.

Proceeding to the next step I decided what colour roses I wanted to make. I probably spent at least an hour looking up the meaning of different colour roses and trying to decide which ones to choose. Making up my mind, I chose to go with orange and lavender. Orange has the meaning of "I desire you" or "I want to know you more". Lavender, on the other hand, means "Falling in love". So I decided to make eleven orange roses and one lavender rose, which could symbolically mean, "I want to get to know you more and that I may be falling in love with you." I'm not too sure, but it seems about right. Right? Of course, I didn't have the proper materials, so I spent a day or two trying to figure out where to buy all the things I needed. Morning Glory, Fancy Box, and Micheals. . . Yep.

One dozen roses, just for you my dear. . . The first rose was probably the hardest one to make, but after that it gradually became easier. One thing stayed the same though: It was time consuming. By the time I started making the bouquet I still had a little over a week left of school. That means finals, projects, and some studying that needs to be done! I still had lots of time left, but the time that I was given to make the roses was very little. I would be doing homework until 8 or 9PM. To any AP students out there, that probably isn't very late, but do take into consideration that I had cross country practice and that each rose took nearly an hour to make. I also went to sleep pretty early on a normal basis, say around 9 or 10 and some times even 11. Throughout the week I devoted nearly 3 hours each day to folding roses each night after I finished my homework, which led me getting to bed by about 12PM. I wanted to take a nap before I did my homework, but I chose to do the homework first so I could get to folding the flowers straight after. When I finished around seven roses I was so tired of folding until 11-12PM every night that I just wanted to stop. Some how I continued working on it. She is my motivation.

The last day of school has arrived. I've finished making the bouquet of roses/flowers. I even planned what shirt and pair of jeans I would wear that day. I also put a sticker on my shirt that said, "Vote [Insert name here] for sophmore ASB president" for a little motivation when I put on my shirt. Hahaha. In the middle of her zero period I get down on one knee, hand her the roses, and tell her that I like her, although I did choke up a little bit; I was about to just give her the flowers and leave! Haha!

I'm really happy I was able to tell her how I feel and give her the bouquet. It feels as if a large weight has been lifted off my heart. I didn't ask her to be my girlfriend or anything, I just told her that I like her. I'm not too sure if she liked receiving the bouquet of flowers, or if she even likes me. She still had them when I saw her during 4th and 6th period. Some thing to smile about, right? Hahaha. Well, hopefully she liked the bouquet, and hopefully she. . . yea. Anyway, that's about it! More flowers to come? We'll have to wait and see! ;)

Here's the final product of the bouquet. This is a picture of the completed bouquet in a vase without the wrapping. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good picture of the bouquet wrapping, so this one will have to suffice!

No comments:

Post a Comment