Monday, January 31, 2011

Food

So someone from school posted on Facebook about packing lunch. Choosing Nutella, or picking a peanut butter sandwich. He said he wanted a "healthier" lunch, or something. Honestly, they seem like the same thing to me. Putting that aside, I am surprised by what other people my age will say about food. "Peanut butter is unhealthy." Are you serious? I almost kicked my table over. Peanut butter isn't unhealthy. It is good source of fat, and if they haven't figured it out yet, some fat is necessary. Now, peanut butter IS unhealthy if you eat too much of it. Anything is unhealthy if you eat too much of it. Carrots are unhealthy if you eat too much of it. I think it is because of the vitamin A. Too much vitamin A can be poisonous and lethal.

I believe this is why there is such a problem with weight and diets. It is not only a lifestyle problem, but also because of the knowledge of food and lifestyle choices. I must say, I still have much to learn myself, but I strongly believe I know much more than the students which go to my school about food and eating.

Another reason why I believe there is a weight problem is because many try to find the easy way out. By eating "healthier" and "better". Trying to shed a few pounds (if you are slightly over weight) and staying healthy isn't just a diet choice, but also a lifestyle choice. That means including (or trying to include) exercise in a daily schedule.

Some times I get depressed or angry when people talk about food in such away. Although I do commit that crime myself occasionally, I do realize my actions after. For example, whenever I eat hamburgers I believe it is horrendous and unhealthy, but I do a double take and think about it. The hamburger provides calories and protein, and as long as I don't eat it every day, I should be fine. Of course, I don't believe it is the best choice to eat it, but it isn't going to kill me. A little treat won't hurt, either. Unless the treat was that bad.

I wish people had a little more knowledge about food and eating. I guess kids will be kids. They will eat as they wish and let it get out of control, but will soon realize the negative effects of doing so.

I will too also continue learning about a "better" lifestyle.

1 comment:

  1. Not only kids have this problem, but adults also. I had this conversation about peanut butter with someone before, when all I was eating was a peanut butter and jelly sandwiches everyday for dinner back in college. I lost a good amount of weight doing that too! =)

    ReplyDelete