Saturday, November 27, 2010

Chilly bike ride

Weather was extremely cold, at least for a bike ride. Friend's cyclometer read 41 degrees when we left. We left at around 5:50AM. We stopped a couple times because it was so cold, and our fingers were freezing. For the first time I saw my fingers turn slightly blue from the cold. We actually ended up stopping at a McDonald's. After some talk we decided to go back home. Looks like our bicycle ride will have to wait another day.





Honestly, I wasn't too sure what I was thinking when I told David Ramirez, "5:30AM, bicycle ride." It was almost an act of suicide. I don't think I have experienced something quite like this morning. Hell? No. This morning made Hell seem kind of nice.


Off we went onto the cold, lonely roads. The sound of shifting derailleurs and our pedal strokes was music enough. The cold quickly enveloped us, battering our morals and stealing whatever energy we had left.

"Right turn," I mumbled out loud.

"No cars, awesome," David replied ecstatically.

It was not so bad at first. The cold was not too horrible, at least for about ten minutes. David read off his cyclometer 41 degrees Fahrenheit. That can't be possible, right? It didn't really matter though because it was still freaking cold either way.

"Which way now?"

"Left. We're taking a left"

Every couple minutes a car or two passed by. Zoom. And all that could be heard once again was our own machines. Interestingly enough there were people waiting at bus stops. They looked so cozy wrapped up in their coats. I looked at myself. Tight shorts and a thin polyester jacket. Definitely not protecting me enough from the cold. I began to notice the wind grazing my face. My face, ears, and hands felt raw from the cold gusts of wind constantly battering against my body. The faster you rode, the more it hurt.

"Hey, let's stop here and get our hands warm."

"Alright"

I noticed my hands turning slightly blue, or at least what I believed to be blue. I looked to the east.

"Sunrise soon"

"Probably in thirty more minutes. It's 6:30AM right now."

"Ah"

We hopped back onto our bicycles and continued to pedal. The cold started to become unbearable, so we stopped by a random McDonald's to seek refuge from the blistering cold. Our prayers were answered as we sat inside for about fifteen minutes just talking. In the end we decided to ride back home. It was much too cold for this ride.

"38 degrees Fahrenheit"

"Your cyclometer is broken, man"

It was definitely cold, though. How cold? I'm not too sure myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment