I was searching for some information on syllogistic reasoning and came across a couple examples of syllogistic reasoning, which I found amusing. Just to let you know, these two examples are examples of incorrect syllogistic reasoning, or at least unreasonable ones.
Statement 1: All men are animals
Statement 2: Some animals are aggressive
Conclusion: Some men are aggressive
Statement 1: All men are animals
Statement 2: Some animals are female
Conclusion: Some men are female
http://changingminds.org/disciplines/argument/types_reasoning/syllogistic_reasoning.htm
I tried to rearrange the first example so it made sense. I think this is correct:
Statement 1: Some men are aggressive
Statement 2: All men are animals (Or should it be "Some animals are men"?)
Conclusion: Some animals are aggressive
I believe the first example will not be correct unless it is rearranged. Changing or switching the nouns probably will not have an affect because it will still be unreasonable and the conclusion will still be unreasonable, so the only likely way to make sense of the syllogism is to switch around the statements and conclusion if you do not want to give the syllogism an overhaul.
No comments:
Post a Comment