"Why do you run?" "It's so boring, why do you do it?"
The list is long with many questions pertaining to running. There are many reasons a person chooses to run. It could be to live a healthier lifestyle, to look good for colleges, or because they can. For those that have looked fear and pain in the eye and continued to move forward, I believe their reason is to challenge and test their minds, bodies, and to find their limits. To find themselves, to be the best, to be some one. But most of all it may also include the self satisfaction of running and the honour of saying to themselves, "I ran this".
I run because I can. I am not limited to where I can run. There is no football field or basketball court big enough to satisfy my hunger to run because the world is my play ground. Unless it was the size of the world, of course. ;)
I run because of the competition. When I see all of us gathered together to run, my heart races with nervousness and excitement. I know I must run my fastest and give my all because I know my competitors will do the same. The feeling is exhilarating.
I run because of my fellow runners. The cross country team is like my second family. I may actually have spent more time with them than my actual family. I don't know how many times my mom or dad asked me, "Let's go out tomorrow", or something like that, and I turned them down because "I had to run".
I run because I love it. Running is painful, very true. During a run there is a battle going within our minds and bodies. But after I finish the run there is a sense of peace within me, as if for a second everything seems right in the world. Running, I love it.
sad really... I questioned why I ran last night and I did not post it or anything. It was too much pain the first mile... I had two miles to go. I said I was going to quit on the 2nd mile but I said screw it I'm going to finish. I wanted to die at the 3rd mile. I got in the house and was pist as hell as to why am I doing this... oh yea a marathon. haha
ReplyDeleteI think at one point in our lives everyone has had that day when all the things that could go wrong went wrong, or it just ended up being very bad. They then begin to ask themselves, "Why?" Really awesome though that you have set a goal to keep yourself going, and not just some half-ass goal, but one where the achievement and satisfaction is great.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the great work for your marathon! I know you are working hard! Because a marathon is not something you can just wake up one day and say, "I'm going to run a marathon".