Leaves being crushed, foot steps following me, eyes on my back, the determination to defeat. How far is he from me? Is he tired? Should I speed up? Do I look back? No . . . I will not look back. . . I will move forward.
Today we did a two mile run for cross country practice, which in terms is a speed work out. The weather is getting hotter, so hydration is much more important now in the middle of the summer! I think the heat cracked some people because some of our good runners had trouble today. Make sure to hydrate everyone! ;)
I ended the two mile run with an 11:15 (5:38 pace). I was somewhat disappointed with my time because I was a minute down from our fastest runner, who ran around a 10:10 (5:05 pace). After that workout we wrapped up the practice with sprints. We would jog half the perimeter of about six or seven tennis courts and sprint the other half and repeat this until our coach told us to stop. The first four or five times weren't so bad, but I could feel my legs begin to revolt against me soon after that. I continued trying to set the hammer down on them, punishing them for not listening, even for a second.
Overall today's practice went quite smoothly. I felt that I could have done better, so no more twenty mile bike rides at 5AM in the morning! Lately since I have been racing Brandon Taylor I've been having this mental boost. Oddly enough I've begin saying to myself, "I think I can beat him. . . he's tired. . . " Pretty sure it's a good thing. Hope the rest of the practices go well! Happy running to everyone! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment