Thursday, July 1, 2010

Donuts & Coffee

I looked at the clock: 3:00AM. I groaned and turned over in my bed and mentally told myself, "Thirty more minutes." I awoke to my mom shaking me awake. I laid in bed for a few more minutes before getting up and dressed. Slipping into a pair of jeans and a random t-shirt on the arm rest of my chair, I was ready to get to work. I washed up a little bit and looked in the mirror. My eyes were red. I sighed and shuffled down the stairs to get ready to go to the doughnut shop.

Working at the doughnut shop means rising early and being up before the sun even rises. There are rarely any car on the roads, the street lights are still on, and the the slight silence is some thing that I would have never imagined in a world dominated by cars.

I wasn't too sure about working this morning at the doughnut shop. I had not gotten any decent sleep that night. I laid rolling in bed from 9PM until 12AM, restless. I'm assuming due to all the miles I've been running, I just couldn't fall sleep. Adrenaline? Maybe. Stress? That could work too.

Fortunately, I was able to make it through four hours of work before returning home with my dad. The realization of how tired I was hit me on the car ride back home. Only a few minutes into the car and I had already fallen asleep. Only if I had slept like that the night before. Luckily we got home by 9:40AM and I was able to get in a few hours of sleep before cross country practice., something I am really grateful for. I'm not sure I could have survived practice without those few extra hours of shut eye. . .

All in all, the work at the doughnut shop was not too bad. I've noticed that I have been getting better at working the register. Honestly, I was horrid at it before. I was always fumbling with the buttons and unsure of every press of a button I made. Now, I feel more confident in my ability, probably because it's the fourth or fifth time I've worked there. Or maybe my Cambodian instincts are finally kicking in. Hahaha, just kidding. ;) So, if you ever want to drop by the doughnut shop, I'll likely be there on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 5AM-9AM. Have a good day everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment