Thursday, July 1, 2010

Returning to cross country

Arriving home from working at the doughnut shop I quickly hustled to the refrigerator and compiled something to eat. Finding some chicken, I threw it in the microwave to heat up and tossed in some rice. Finally, something to eat. All I had that morning at the doughnut shop was a banana and a breakfast croissant. Even though I work there, I don't choose to eat much because the food we have there. . . well, it's just doughnuts, really. The only thing I can count on is being thoroughly hydrated.

Surely after eating my next priority was sleep. I rarely got any sleep the night before, so I was exhausted. Having cross country practice at 5PM, I had no second thoughts on taking a nice, long nap. Falling asleep around 10:30AM, I took a nap until around 3PM in the afternoon. Feeling refreshed I quickly got dressed and sat waiting for an hour until it was 4PM so I could leave for practice. Yes, I actually wait for practice to arrive.

Two days of being gone was really refreshing once I returned to practice today. I was in very high spirits, even though I was very demoralized a few days before. I wasn't feeling my best, but wasn't feel too shabby, either. We were separated into different groups. All varsity runners were isolated from junior varsity runners. The mission for boys varsity? Pass all the junior varsity runners that had left before us. The route we were to run was a four mile course, which, lacking a better name, was called the Del Amo run. It's also possible to call it the Del Amo-Woodruff run.

The run itself wasn't too bad. It was a nice and steady run until we hit the Woodruff. Runners started falling off the back and we started scattering. Although we separated at some point, which is bound to happen some times, it was very encouraging to know that our group had stayed together for quite some time. I am over joyed to see so many of our runners working so hard. :') The run was a great way to start off my ventures after two days on leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment